Radford Poor Law Union
- Radford parish had its own workhouse prior to 1834. It was on St. Peter's street and was known for a while as "Peveril House." It was demolished around 1970.
- After the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, the Radford Poor Law Union was formed on 4 July 1836 to serve 4 local parishes in Nottingham. For more on the history of this Union, see the Peter Higganbotham website.
- Parishes in Nottingham: Liberty of Brewhouse Yard, Lenton, Radford, Snenton.
- In 1837, the new Radford Union workhouse was built at the south side of Outgang Lane in Nottingham.
- Although the workhouse was built to house 200 inmates, the average number housed was less than half that most years.
- In 1880, the Radford Union was dissolved and its member parishes absorbed by the adjacent Nottingham Union. The former Radford workhouse building was later used as a school for workhouse children.
- In 1929, the Poorlaw Union concept was abandoned and the government began to introduce direct assistance via the county council in 1930.
- In 1961, all the workhouse buildings were demolished.
- Virtually no records survive from this Poorlaw Union.
- The Poorlaw Union was the census Registration District from 1841 through 1880. It made sense to use an existing political structure to manage the census.
- Maurice CAPLAN, "In the Shadow of the Workhouse," 1984.
- 1853: Richard MORLEY, chairman; W. POWER, auditor; Edwin PATCHETT, clerk; Walter HOOTON, workhouse master; Selina HOOTON, workhouse matron; Emily THORPE, schoolmistress.
- 1869: James WILSON, clerk to the guardians; Thomas DUFTY, workhouse master; Mrs. Martha DUFTY, matron; T. Appleby STEVENSON, medical officer; Joseph ROBERTS, relieving officer.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.
[Last updated: 21-August-2014 - Louis R. Mills]