"RAMPTON is a good village and parish, six miles E.S.E. of Retford, and about one mile from the Trent, to which its parish extends opposite to Torksey ferry, where there are in Lincolnshire the ruins of an ancient castle. It contains 456 inhabitants, and about 2,165 acres of land, mostly belonging to the Rev. Charles Wasteneys Eyre, the lord of the manor, to whom it has descended in regular succession from a period soon after the conquest, when it was the fee of Roger de Busli. Rampton Hall, which was built in the reign of Henry VIII., was pulled down about 130 years ago, except a very curious gateway, which still remains, and is highly ornamented with the armorial bearings of the Stanhope, Babyington, and Eyre families, of whom there are many sepuchral memorials in the church. The present owner is however now re-erecting at an estimated cost of £10,000, a handsome Hall, in the Elizabethian style. This manor descended by marriage from the knightly family of Stanhope to that of Babyington, and from the latter to the Eyres of Grove, one of whose maternal ancesters was Lady Pakynton, of Westwood House, Worcestershire, the pious authoress of the original "Whole Duty of Man,” which was written partly for the purpose of correcting the vices which prevailed during the civil wars of Charles I., in whose defence Colonel Sir Gervase Eyre, who espoused the heiress of the Babyingtons, lost his life at the siege of Newark.
The Church, dedicated to All Saints, is a large handsome structure, with nave, chancel, side aisles, and lofty tower. It is in the patronage and appropriation of its own prebendary in Southwell Collegiate Church. The Rev. Fitzgerald Wintour, M.A., who enjoys the vicarage, which is valued in the King’s hooks at £10., now £173. It has been augmented with Queen Anne’s Bounty, with which land was purchased in the Isle of Axholme, and it has about 39 acres of ancient glebe. The Rev. William Keys is the curate, and resides at the vicarage, a neat brick mansion, erected in 1842, near the old one on the south side the church. The open fieIds and commons which comprised nearly half the parish was enclosed in 1843, by the mutual agreement of the proprietors, who had a tunnel 45 yards long cut, through which the water is conveyed from the south and south-east sides of the psrish to the Semer Drain, which carries it to Sturton Out Ings, where it falls into the Trent. The tithes were commuted in 1847, for £479, 4s. 7d. The Rev, C. W. Eyre is lessee of the prebendal tithes and property; he has erected a good school at the west end of the church, consisting of two apartments, for boys and girls, the latter of which he entirely supports, and the other is used instead of the old school in the church yard. The Wesleyans have a small chapel here. The village feast is on Whitsunday."
This village and parish lie about 136 miles north of London on the west bank of the River Trent, only 7 miles east-south-east from Retford and 8 miles south of Gainsborough. The Trent River forms the eastern boundary of the parish, separating it from Lincolnshire. The parish covers 2,155 acres.
Under the Mental Health Act of 1983, Rampton Hospital, between the villages of Woodbeck and Rampton became a high security psychiatric hospital. Rampton Hospital opened in 1912 as an overflow hospital for Broadmoor Hospital in Berkshire.
There are no patient records available for family history searching.
In the church is a brass tablet in memory of Lieut. Arthur H. EYRE, 90th Infantry Regt., who died in the Third Anglo-Ashanti War in 1874.
In 1881, Lieut.-Col. Henry EYRE, 2nd Notts Regt., resided at Rampton manor. Henry was born in 1834 in Carlton in Lindrick, NTT.
Inside the parish church is a War Memorial triptych showing the Roll of Honour for Rampton. It records the names of seven dead and fifty five parishioners who served during World War One. The names of 8 parishioners who fell in World War II are also recorded.