"Ratcliffe-upon-Soar is a small village and parish, near the junction of the Soar and the Trent navigation, 9 miles south west of Nottingham. It has 183 inhabitants, and 1,200 acres ofland, belonging to Earl Howe, who is lord of the manor, impropriator, and patron of the vicarage, which is valued in the King's books at £10 11s 3d, now £71., and is now in the imcumbency of the Rev. Jno. Jas. Vaughan. It has been augmented with land at Misson, purchased with Queen Anne's bounty. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, is an ancient building with nave, side aisles and tower. In the chancel are several monuments of the Sacheverell family, who had a large manor house here, but it was pulled down in 1719, except the dining room, which is now used as a barn by Mrs Hickinbotham. In 1852 a National School was created here by Lord Howe, who is also the sole supporter."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2489|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2719|
This village and parish lie on the River Soar not far from the Midlands Airport, not far from the Leicestershire border. Kingston-on-Soar is just to the south. The parish covers about 1,200 acres.
If you are planning a visit:
Year Population 1801 156 1811 169 1821 168 1831 177 1841 224 1851 146 1871 151 1881 146 1891 135 1901 142
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.