"Rempston is a pleasant village and parish four miles north of Loughborough, and 11 miles south of Nottingham, containing 380 inhabitants and 1,660 acres of land, a large portion of which belongs to the lord of the manor, Gregory Gregory Esq., who built the present hall, now occupied by the Dowager Lady Sitwell, and delightfully situated in a diversified park, about half a mile west of the village. The present church is dedicated to All Saints, and was built in 1771, out of the ruins of the ancient church of St Peter's-in-the-Rushes, and an old chapel which had been long in disuse. The latter stood in the village, and the former was distant about half a mile to the north east where its burial ground is now an open field. The church is a neat edifice, with a tower and five bells, and contains a large gallery for the singers and Sunday scholars. The rectory is valued in the King's books at £13 2s 6d, now £173, and received at the enclosure in 1768 an allottment of 258 acres in lieu of tithes. The master of Sidney College, Cambridge, is the patron, and the Rev. Richard Newton Adams is the incumbent. In 1748, Robert Marsden, Archdeacon of Nottingham, who lies buried in the old churchyard, left to the succesive rectors, Little Grange Close (two and a half acres), on condition that they distribute 50s amongst the poor every Christmas. The poor had also the interest of £10, left in 1716, by Thomas Woodroffe, but it is now lost. Lady Sitwell pays for the education of all the poor girls in the parish, and in 1848 the same lady built a neat school at her own expense. The Baptists have a burial ground here, and a chapel built in 1851, at a cost of £170, raised by subscription. The Wesleyans have also a chapel, built in 1850."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire", 1853]
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2277|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2518|
John Mellors tells us:
This parish and village are on the border with Leicestershire and lie about 120 miles north of London, 3.5 miles north-east of Loughborough (in Leicestershire) and 10 miles due south of Nottingham. The parish covers 1,660 acres.
The village sits just south of a small stream that feeds into the River Soar. If you are planning a visit:
Year Inhabitants 1801 324 1851 389 1871 339 1881 314 1891 302 1901 270 1911 257 1921 248 1931 240 1951 264 1961 254
Follow this link to Find help, report problems, or contribute information