"Ruddington, 5 miles south of Nottingham, is a large and well built village and parish, containing a population of 2,182 souls, many of whom are employed in the lace and hosiery manufactures. Its parish comprised 2,900 acres of fertile land, chiefly of a gravelly loam, with a marl sub-soil, the rateable value of which is £5,659 5s 8d. Sir Thomas George Augustus Parkyns, Bart is the principal owner, and lord of the manor, but Charles Paget, R.B. Barker, Thomas Moor and W.G. Boden Esqrs have estates here, the former of whom in 1832 erected Ruddington Grange, a commodious mansion situated on a gentle eminence about a mile north of the village. At the enclosure in 1768, the vicar received 52 acres, and Sir Charles Cavendish 466 in lieu of tithes. Of the latter 400 acres has been bought by Charles Paget Esq, the impropriator. The church was repaired in 1718, and was rebuilt upon a large scale in 1824 at a cost of £1,100, except the chancel and steeple, which are the only remaining parts of the ancient fabric. It was, however, a chapel of ease until 1773, when its burial ground was consecrated, and enclosed with part of the materials of the original mother church that stood in an open field, one mile east of Ruddington, where there had formerly been a village called Flawford. This church of Flawford was a Saxon edifice, dedicated to St Peter, and had a lofty spire steeple, and many curious monuments with cross-legged figures; but having been deserted by the parishioners it bacame ruinous, and a licence was obtained from the archbishop in 1773 to take it down. Its ancient tombs and other ornaments were all destroyed or mutilated by "colliers" employed in the work of demolition, and Throsby says, many of them were taken to build bridges, and to mend the roads. The chancel belonged to the Devonshire family, and was not destroyed till 1799, when the workmen employed in taking up the floor discovered three marble statues of the most exquisite workmanship."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2446|
|1881||R.G. 11 / 3339|
Ruddington is a large village and a parish which lies 5 miles south of Nottingham city and 10 miles north of Loughborough. The parish covers 2,990 acres and includes the wooded hill of Micklebarrow one mile north of the village.
If you are planning a visit:
Year Inhabitants 1801 868 1851 2,181 1861 2,283 1871 2,436 1881 2,638 1891 2,370 1901 2,493 1911 2,771
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.