"Saundby is but a small village, pleasantly situated on an eminence overlooking the Trent, 3 miles south-west by west of Gainsborough, and 7/12 miles north-east of Retford. The parish, which extends to the Trent, contains 107 inhabitants and 1,330 acres of rich enclosed land, all of which belongs to Lord Middleton, the lord of the manor, except a small quantity of glebe, and 28 acres belonging to the poor of Gainsborough. At the Domesday Survey, the whole was of the Archbishop of York's soke of Laneham, except one garden, which a villein held of the soke of Mansfield, by the service of finding "salt for the King's fish in Bigrodie".
The church, which has evidently been a much larger edifice, is dedicated to St Martin. The living is a rectory, valued in the King's books at £14 8s 6d, now £101, and is in the gift of Lord Middleton, and incumbency of the Rev. Charles Walter Hudson. The rectory house is a handsome mansion, built in 1831.
Trent Port, on the west bank of the Trent, opposite to Gainsborough, contains a good inn, two large ship yards, an oil mill, and several wharfs, warehouses &c., which belong to Lord Middleton."
[WHITE's Directory of Nottinghamshire 1853]