"Scrooby Parish is within the North Soke of the archiepiscopal Liberty of Southwell and Scrooby, betwixt and near the confluence of the rivers Idle and Ryton. It contains 271 inhabitants, and 1,523 acres of land. The common was enclosed in 1775, when 160a 3p were alloted to the improprietor, and 34a 2r 22p to the vicar, in lieu of all the tithes of the parish, except those which are still paid on 319 acres of old enclosure.
Scrooby is a neat pleasant village on the south bank of the River Ryton, on the east side of the Great North Road and the Great Northern Railway, which has a small station here. It lies 1½ miles south of Bawtry, and now consists of a few farm houses and cottages, The church is dedicated to St Wilfred, and is a neat structure which possesses none of its ancient grandeur, except its lofty spire, which was greatly injured by lightning on Sunday, August 7th 1831, but has since been substantially repaired." [WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]