"Shelford Parish consists of two townships, viz. Shelford-with-Newton and Saxondale, which maintain their poor separately, and contain together 775 inhabitants, and 3,592 acres of land, lying on the south side of the Trent, betwixt Radcliffe and East Bridgford, and is of the rateable value of £6,562 14s 3d.
Shelford, 6½ miles east by north of Nottingham, is a pleasant village, seated on a gentle eminence, which in very great floods is sometimes completely surrounded by the Trent water, as was the case in 1793, though it is distant half a mile from the regular channel of the river, and is backed by a lofty ridge of land to the south.
After the Conquest, it was nearly all of the fee of Goisfred de Halselin, whose descendant, Ralph, founded an Austin Priory here in the reign of Stephen which, at its dissolution in the 29th of Henry VIII, was valued at £116 1s 1d per annum, and was granted to Michael Stanhope Esq., ancestor of the Earl of Chesterfield, who is now sole owner (except half an acre) and lord of the manor of Shelford, which comprises about 2,500 acres. The ancient manor house, which was long occupied by the Stanhope family, was burnt down in the civil wars, when the Parliamentarians took it by storm, after it had long held out for the king, under the command of Colonel Stanhope (son of the first Earl of Chesterfield) who was slain in the conflict. Some years after this, the family rebuilt it partly out of its ruins, and it is now occupied by John Hassall Esq." [White's Directory of Nottinghamshire 1853]
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2486|
Shelford is a parish and a village that sits just south of the River Trent between East Bridgford and Radcliffe, 125 miles north of London. The parish contains the township of Shelford and the hamlets of Newton and Saxondale and covers just over 3,190 acres.
Year Shelford with Newton Saxondale 1801 418 68 1851 645 130 1881 510 1901 386 90
Find help, report problems, or contribute information