GENUKI Home page
Nottinghamshire Nottinghamshire   Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby Places

Shelton

"Shelton parish and village is pleasantly situated on the west bank of the Smite, 7 miles south by west of Newark. It has a population of 102 persons and 840 acres of land. The principal owners are Robert Hall Esq., Rev. Joseph Banks Wright and Mr William Hemsley, the former of whom is lord of the manor, and resides at the Manor House. Shelton Hall is a neat, modern mansion, the seat and property of the Rev. Joseph Banks Wright.
The church is a small edifice, dedicated to St Mary, and was partly rebuilt and new pewed in 1831, at the cost of £400. The rectory, valued in the King's books at £6 14s 4½d, now £322, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. John Ince Maltby M.A., who has 40 acres of glebe. The father of Secker, Archbishop of Canterbury, was buried here. The poor have £9 per annum from 4 acres of land at Aslacton, purchased by £30 left in 1744 by the Rev. George Bardhope."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2483
1891 R.G. 12 / 2717
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Manors

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

    Year  Inhabitants
1801 73
1851 119
1881 116
1901 104
Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 29-March-2014 - Louis R. Mills]