"Sibthorpe village and parish lies on the Cardike, 7 miles south-south-west of Newark, and was once a place of considerable importance, having a college founded by Geffrey de Scroop, in the reign of Edward II. It was also for a long time the residence of the Burnell family, who had a large mansion here, of which nothing now remains. The lordships contains 908 acres of land, a tithe-free estate of the rateable value of £1,721, and 154 inhabitants, and is all the property of the Duke of Portland, who is also patron of the living, which is enjoyed by the Rev. John Ince Maltby of Shelton.
The church, dedicated to St Peter, is a donative of the certified value of £20. It is an ancient edifice, and was originally much larger than it is at present. It has a spacious chancel, in which is a monument of Edward Burnell, the date on which is 1589, and in black letters are inserted, "By me, Barbara Burnell, God grant us a joyful resurrection." In the church-yard is a stone erected to the memory of four children of the name of Hall, who died in infancy, at the foot of which are these lines:
'The cup of life just with their lips they pressed, They found it bitter and declined the rest. Averse, then, turning from the face of day, They softly sighed their little souls away'.
A neat Wesleyan chapel, built of wood, and standing on wheels, was opened for service in July 1844."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2483|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2717|
Sibthorpe is a small village and a parish which lies on the Cardike, 7 miles south of Newark, 6 miles northwest of Bingham, 17 miles northeast of Nottingham city and 131 miles north of London. The parish covers 912 acres.
If you are planning a visit:
Year Inhabitants 1801 85 1851 146 1861 142 1871 141 1881 130 1891 106 1901 76 1911 90 1921 97 1931 93
Find help, report problems, or contribute information