"Skegby is a pleasant village and parish, situated on the two declivities of a deep and narrow valley, near the source of the river Meden, three miles west of Mansfield. The parish comprises 865 inhabitants, and 1,440 acres of land, of the value of £2,380. Here is an extensive coal mine, and several limestone quarries and kilns. A steam corn mill of 16 horse power was erected in 1820 by the late Mr Richard Adlington's father, of Tibshelf in Derbyshire. John Fodsley Esq., of Skegby Hall, is the principal owner and lord of the manor, and holds a peculiar court for proving the wills &c. of this parish and Teversal, but John Monks Esq., Mr William Adlington, Mrs Ann Adlington and others have estates here.
The church is a small ancient structure, and was formerly a chapel to Mansfield. It contains two very old pieces of sculpture, the one with a pendant horn may be imagined represents one of the ancient foresters. The living is a curacy, certified at £78, and is enjoyed by the Rev. William Goodacre. The Dean of Lincoln is the patron and impropriator, but the Duke of Portland is his lessee. The Wesleyan Methodists have a chapel in the village, erected in 1844. In 1613, Mathew Clark left 10s yearly to the poor. In 1741, Simon Smith bequeathed his real and personal estate to found a hospital here, but his devise was void by the Mortmain Act. The feast is on the Sunday after July 10th. Skegby Hall is a large handsome mansion, the seat and property of John Dodsley Esq."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]