"Sneinton Parish forms a populous eastern suburb of Nottingham, and has partaken so largely of the prosperity of that town, that since the year 1801 its population has increased more than twelve fold, so that it now amounts to 8,440 souls in 1851, living in the hamlets of Old Sneinton, Middle Sneinton, Element Hill and The Hermitage. Most of this augmentation has taken place during the last thirty years, and it now contains 1,728 houses, of which 37 were building and 9 were uninhabited. They now form many handsome streets, extending on the Southwell and Carlton Roads, to the eastern limits of Nottingham, though the old village is more than a mile east of the Market place. The parish contains 843 acres of rich, strong, clay land. Earl Manvers is lord of the manor, and owns about two-thirds of the parish. It was originally crown land, but King John granted it to William de Brimere, from whom it went, in the reign of Edward I, to Tibetot, and was held of him at the same time by Robert Pierrepont, by the service of a pair of gloves or one penny. It has continued ever since in the Pierrepont family, who gave the common, near St Ann's Well, to the parishioners. The ancient name was Snottington or Nottington; Laird says it is rather curious, that all the learned investigations of the origin of Nottingham, should have overlooked a particular circumstance, which seems to throw a new light upon its state, in the Saxon times, and perhaps for some ages previous to them." [WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
Saint Matthias Church, on St. Matthias road, was originally a Chapel of Ease to St. Stephen's. It opened in May, 1868 and closed in 2003.
Saint Alban's Church, on Bond Street, was an Anglican church built in 1886-87 to seat 565 people, It was built to serve a new ecclesiastical parish carved from St. Stephen's and St, Matthias. It was declared redundant in 2003 and sold.
Although once a small and independent village and parish, Sneinton has become an eastern suburb of Nottingham city. The parish covered 843 acres and includes the hamlets of Old Sneinton, New Sneinton, Middle Sneinton, Element Hill and the Hermitage.
Sneinton Villa is situated on the Carlton road about a quarter mile north-east of Old Sneinton. Sneinton Hermitage is a large perpendicular rock, rising on the east of Nottingham, overlooking the Trent River. It has many ancient caves carved out of the solid rock.
You can see pictures of Sneinton which are provided by:
The parish was home to the "County and Borough Lunatic Asylum" on the Carlton Road, opened in 1812. It is unknown what records may have survived. They were not required to archive these records, but a check with the Notts Archives office may be in order. Typically administrative and accounting documents are archived. In 1853 it was converted to a "pauper asylum" only.