"South Collingham parish includes the southern part of the village of Collingham, and hamlets of Brough and Danethorpe, distant two and a half miles to the south-east. It has 834 inhabitants and 3,230 acres of land, valued at £3,440. The Earl of Stamford is principal owner, and lord of the manor, which he holds on a lease under the Dean and Chapter of Peterborough, whose bishop has the advowson of the rectory, which is valued in the King's books at £14 1s 10½d, now at £418, and is enjoyed by the Rev. Joseph Mayor.
The church, dedicated to St John the Baptist, is a large ancient structure, and consists of a nave and two side aisles, with a tower in which are five bells, put up in 1841. The arches on the south side of the name are all pure Saxon, and are supposed to have formed part of the priory church, which is traditionally reported to have stood at Collingham. In the parish are two Wesleyan chapels, one at Collingham and the other at Brough. A National School was built in 1839 by subscription, which will accommodate 150 children, the average number being 130. On the Fosse Road is the site of the Crocolana of Antonius, now occupied by the village of Brough, where pots, urns, bricks and coins, termed Brough pennies, have been dug up at various periods. Danethorpe, which occupies an eminence a little to the south of Brough, had anciently a chapel annexed to Hawton."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
|1851||H.O. 107 / 2136|
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2476|
South Collingham is a township and a parish adjoining North Collingham. The parish borders covers over 2,800 acres and includes the hamlets of Brough and Danethorpe, both about 2 miles southwest of South Collingham village.
The combined village of Collingham sits on the banks of the River Fleet about 6 miles from Newark-on-Trent. Brough was a Roman station on the Fossway. If you are planning a visit:
1801 508 539 1831 - 727 1851 935 834 1861 1010 863 1901 813 670
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.