"Leverton (South) parish contains 484 inhabitants, and 2500 acres of land, including the township of Cottam, which contains 89 inhabitants, and about 625 acres of land, which, by an agreement of the parishioners, was formed into a distinct township to keep its own poor.
South Leverton is a scattered pleasantly situated village, 5 miles east from Retford, commanding extensive prospects, in which Lincoln minster may be seen at a distance of 20 miles. The Lincoln branch of the Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway runs through the parish, and has two stations; one about half way between the village and North Leverton, and the other at Cottam. The Church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient structure, with nave, chancel, side aisles, and a tower, in which are three bells, and which in 1846 had about £400 expended upon it in alterations, repairs and re-pewing. The living is a vicarage, valued in the King's Books at £6 13s 4d, and by the gift of William Rufus, is in the patronage and appropriation of the Dean of Lincoln, and the incumbency of the Rev. John Mickle. At the enclosure in 1797 of the open fields and marshes, 382a 2r 30p of land were awarded to the Dean of Lincoln, and 53a 3r 15p to the vicar, in lieu of the great and small tithes, in addition to 10a 1r 17p of ancient glebe."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2414|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2639|
South Leverton is a township and a parish 145 miles north of London, 6 miles south-west of Gainsborough and 5.5 miles east of East Retford. The parish covers 1,630 acres.
If you are planning a visit:
Year Population 1801 354 1811 383 1821 374 1831 400 1841 451 1851 484 1861 408 1871 488 1881 403 1891 366 1901 376