GENUKI Home page
Nottinghamshire Nottinghamshire   Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby Places

South Muskham

"South Muskham is a village and parish on the North Road, near to the clumsy and wooden bridge which crosses the broad stream of the Trent, 2 miles north-west of Newark. It contains 282 inhabitants and 2,612a 2r 39p of land, Lord Middleton is the owner, except about 20 acres in small freeholds, and lessee under the prebendary and chapter. The Marshalls formerly had a seat here, but sold their inheritance to Sir William Willoughby Bart. The Great North Railway passes through the parish.
The church, dedicated to St Wilfred, is a vicarage valued in the King's books at £4, now £65, and is in the patronage of its own prebendary in Southwell Collegiate Church, who is also appropriator, and at the enclosure had 140 acres and 37 perches of land awarded for the large tithe. The Rev. John Drake Beecher M.A. is the incumbent, and has 3a 1r 2p of glebe. The church is an ancient structure with nave, chancel, side aisles and tower, with three bells."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2472
1891 R.G. 12 / 2708
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

This village and parish lie 2.5 miles north of Newark. The parish is bounded on the east and south by the River Trent, covers about 2,700 acres and includes the hamlet of Little Carlton.

If you are planning a visit to the village:

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Politics and Governance

Return to top of page.

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

    Year  Inhabitants
1801 284
1811 284
1821 278
1831 261
1841 262
1851 303
1871 279
1881 245
1891 221
1901 196
Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 8-December-2013 - Louis R. Mills]