"South Muskham is a village and parish on the North Road, near to the clumsy and wooden bridge which crosses the broad stream of the Trent, 2 miles north-west of Newark. It contains 282 inhabitants and 2,612a 2r 39p of land, Lord Middleton is the owner, except about 20 acres in small freeholds, and lessee under the prebendary and chapter. The Marshalls formerly had a seat here, but sold their inheritance to Sir William Willoughby Bart. The Great North Railway passes through the parish.
The church, dedicated to St Wilfred, is a vicarage valued in the King's books at £4, now £65, and is in the patronage of its own prebendary in Southwell Collegiate Church, who is also appropriator, and at the enclosure had 140 acres and 37 perches of land awarded for the large tithe. The Rev. John Drake Beecher M.A. is the incumbent, and has 3a 1r 2p of glebe. The church is an ancient structure with nave, chancel, side aisles and tower, with three bells."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2472|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2708|
The A1 trunk road passes between North and South Muskham.
J THOMAS has a photograph of the bustling Main Street on Geo-graph, taken in 2011.
Year Inhabitants 1801 284 1811 284 1821 278 1831 261 1841 262 1851 303 1871 279 1881 245 1891 221 1901 196
Find help, report problems, or contribute information