"South Wheatley is a small parish containing only three farm houses, three cottages, 34 inhabitants and 864 acres of land, principally belonging to William Mason Esq. It is 5½ miles north-east of Retford, and separated from north Wheatley by a rivulet which runs through a deep and narrow valley. The church, dedicated to St Helen, is a small structure, with a tower and three bells, situated on an eminence near the houses. The living is a rectory, valued in the King's books at £6 14s 2d, now £140, discharged from the payment of first fruits. It was anciently of the fee of Roger de Busli, and "formed part of the chapelry of Tykhill", but is now in the patronage of the Chapter of Southwell. The Rev. Thomas Henry Shepherd M.A. is the incumbent. George Savile Foljambe Esq. is lord of the manor, which is mostly freehold. Gypsum is found in great abundance, and is used for the foundation of roads which, when calcined makes good floors &c. The resident farmers are George Hardy and William Radford; and William Fillingham, joiner." [White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
South Wheatley is a small village and a parish within the parliamentary bough of East Retford. The parish covers 631 acres. The parish lies 149 miles north of London, 5 miles south-west of Gainsborough and 5 miles north-east of East Retford.
The village is too small to appear on small scale (lareg area) maps. If you are planning a visit:
By automobile, take the A620 north-east out of Retford.