"Stapleford is a large pleasant village and parish situated on the Erewash, near the Derby Road, six miles south by west of Nottingham. The parish contains 1,059 acres of land, and its population has increased since the year 1801, from 748 to 1,968 souls. The principal owners are John Jackson Esq., Hon. William Vernon, a minor, second son of Lord Vernon, J.S. Sherwin Esq., and T.D. Hall Esq.; the former of whom is lord of the manor, and patron of the perpetual curacy. The Rev. W.R. Almond M.A. is the incumbent.
The church is a neat edifice, dedicated to St Helen, with a small tower, a spire and three bells, and was repaired in 1785 and 1819. It contains some ancient monuments worthy of inspection, also several of a modern date, one of which is to the memory of George John Borlase Warren, eldest son of Admiral Sir J.B. Warren. He lost his life in the battle of Aboukir, in Egypt, March 8th 1801, aged 19. A handsome tomb was erected to the memory of Capt. Wm. Sleigh in 1842. In 1836 a large National School was built and endowed by Lady Caroline Warren at a cost of £3,000. It is situated on a commanding eminence near the east end of the village, and is a handsome structure in the Elizabethan style, 100 feet long and 25 wide. A portion of the building is occupied as an infant school. The Artisans' Library, established in 1837, has about 514 volumes. The Wesleyan, Kilhamite, Primitive Methodists and Particular Baptists, have each a chapel in the village. The feast is on the Sunday before Old St Luke's, or on that day when it falls on a Sunday. The Midland Railway Company's branch of the Erewash Valley Line runs past the village, and has a station here."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]