"Staunton is a small village picturesquely situated in the Vale of Belvoir, near the point where the three counties of Nottingham, Leicester and Lincoln unite, 7 miles south by east of Newark, and 10 miles from Grantham, which is the post town, and near the source of the River Devon. Its parish includes part of the hamlet of Alverton, and the township and chapelry of Flawborough. The lordship of Staunton has 93 inhabitants and 1,410 acres of land, which was enclosed in 1760.
It has been the sole property of a family of its own name from the time of the Saxons, and (in Thoroton) we find, "Sir Manger Staunton successfully defended Belvoir Castle against William the Conqueror, and there made his composition and contract for his lands, and had the strongest fortress therein, ever since called by his name - Staunton's Tower". Job Staunton Charlton Esq., the last male heir of this ancient family, died in 1777, after which this lordship was possessed by his two maiden daughters, the survivor of whom died in 1807, and left here estates here and in Yorkshire, to her second cousin, Elizabeth, wife of the Rev. John Apinshaw L.L.D, on condition that they should take the name and bear the arms of Staunton only. This was the case, and the present representative of this family, George William Manger Staunton, grandson of the late Dr Staunton, is the chief proprietor and lord of the manor, as well as patron of the rectory, which is valued in the King's books at £16 10s 11½d. In 1851, the present proprietor presented the living to the Rev. Charles Wing B.A., the present rector."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
|1841||H.O. 107 / 862|
|1851||H.O. 107 / 2138 - 2139|
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2481|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2715|
Staunton was a parish and a township on the river Devon.
Year Population 1801 - 1851 93 1881 95 1891 95 1901 102
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.