GENUKI Home page
Nottinghamshire Nottinghamshire   Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby Places

Stokeham

"Stokeham is a small village and parish, five miles north east from Tuxford, only containing 60 inhabitants, and about 564 acres of land, of which, William and John Otter, and Joseph Quibell are resident owners, and Thomas Kneeton and Frederick Beardsall have estates here; but Earl Manvers is lord of the manor, which in Doomsday Book is called Estoches, and was soc to Fledborough, of the fee of the Bishop of Lincoln, and was successively held by the families of Lysure, Bassett, Swift and Amstrudders.

The church is a small fabric, annexed to the vicarage of East Drayton, which has all the tithes of the parish; the Rev. John Goodacre is the incumbent."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2417
1891 R.G. 12 / 2642
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

This village, township and parish are about 5 miles north-east of Tuxford and 6 miles south-east of Retford. The parish covers only 564 acres.

If you are planning a visit:

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

    Year  Inhabitants
1861 53
1871 53
1881 43
1891 35
Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information.


Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 11-February-2011 - Louis R. Mills]