Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Strelley

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

Strelley

As described in 1871: "STRELLEY, a parish in Basford district, Notts; 2 miles E of Ilkeston r. station. Post town, Nottingham. Acres, 1,050. Real property, £1,762. Pop., 253. Houses, 48. The manor, with S. Hall, belongs to J. T. Edge, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £90. Patron, J. T. Edge, Esq. The church was restored in 1855."
[John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales," 1870-72]

topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Hucknall Torkard sub-district of the Basford Registration District:
     
  • By 1911 this parish was in the Beeston sub-district of the Basford Registration District:
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1851 H.O. 107 / 2127
1861 R.G. 9 / 2442
1871 R.G. 10 / 3491
1891 R.G. 12 / 2671

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Strelley area or see them printed on a map.

topup

Church History

  • There is no mention of a church here in the 1086 Domesday Book.
     
  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to All Saints and appears to be of Norman origin. It is a gorgeous little old church, that still contains some alabaster statues from Norman times, and also (under the carpet in the aisle), a superb Norman brass of a buried couple.
     
  • In 1269 we have the first mention of a priest, John de ESCURIS, being assigned here.
     
  • The church tower dates from the 12th century and appears to be the oldest part of the church.
     
  • All Saints Church was rebuilt (or, at least, remodeled) by Sir Sampsone de STRELLEY about the year 1356.
     
  • The church was restored and reseated in 1855.
     
  • A clock was added to the tower in 1883.
     
  • Central heating was installed in 1895. Electric lighting came in 1935 and a water tap was added to the base of the tower in 1965.
     
  • The church seats 250.
     
  • The church closed briefly in 1980, but by 2013 was back offering a full range of services.
     
  • David LALLY has a photograph of Strelley Church on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2008.
     
  • Richard CROFT has a photograph of the Church chancel on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2012.
     
  • The church has its own Website, but has no history on it as of 2014.
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1564 for baptisms; from 1676 for marriages and from 1678 for burials. All the registers are in good condition.
     
  • The International Genealogical Index (IGI) includes records from this parish for the period 1626-1848.
     
  • The church was in the rural deanery of Beeston.
     
topup

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Hucknall Torkard sub-district of the Basford Registration District:
     
  • By 1911 this parish was in the Beeston sub-district of the Basford Registration District:
     
  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
topup

Description and Travel

Strelley is a parish and a scattered village 134 miles north of London, 5 miles west-north-west of Nottingham and 2 miles east of Ilkeston. The parish includes Catstone Hill about 1/2 mile south of the village.

If you are planning a visit:

  • This is a quiet, tranquil village just a "stone's throw" west of Nottingham city.
     
  • The village shares its name with a nearby post-WW2 housing estate. The village is separated from the housing estate by the A6002 road. The estate is actually in Nottingham city.
     
  • By automobile, the parish lies just west of Nottingham, before you reach the M1 Motorway.
     
  • Treveror RICKARD has a photograph of the view of Nottingham in the distance on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2010.
     
  • The village is served by Nottingham City Transport service.
     

You can see pictures of Strelley which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Strelley to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup
topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Strelley has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • Strelley is also notable for being the upper terminus of one of the earliest recorded railway lines in the world, the Wollaton Waggonway. The railway ran to Wollaton. Horse-drawn coal wagons travelled to their destination on wooden railway lines. This type of railway is known as a wagonway and it was completed during 1604. It was built by Huntingdon BEAUMONT working in partnership with the second occupier of Wollaton Hall, Sir Percival WILLOUGHBY. Coal mining was a significant industry in Strelley during Elizabethan and Stuart times. Notable families involved in the early mining of Strelley included the STRELLEYs and the BYRONs; it was a Byron who sub-leased the pits to Huntingdon BEAUMONT.
     
  • During the 1960s much of the western part of Strelley parish was dominated by a huge opencast coal mine. After the opencast mine closed, the M1 motorway was constructed over the west of the parish. The village church can now easily be seen from the motorway just north of the Trowell services area.
     
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Broad Oak pub., Strelley on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2014.
     
  • John SUTTON has a sunnier view of the Broad Oak pub. on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2011. This used to be a Kimberley Brewery house.
     
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST also has a photograph of the Fountain Cottage on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2014. The original village fountain is in the archway on the left.
     
topup

Manors

  • Graham HOGG has a photograph of the former moat to Strelley Hall on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2015.
     
  • John SUTTON has a photograph of Strelley Hall on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2017.
     
  • David HALLAM-JONES has a front view of Strelley Hall on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2015.
     
topup
topup

Military History

  • The War Memorial was erected in the churchyard which is across the street from the church. It is a protected monument under the National Heritage List and is rated Grade II. It is easily seen from the main road.
     
  • A framed and glazed ROLL of Honour stands on a lectern in All Saints Church.
     
  • John SUTTON has a photograph of the War Memorial in the churchyard on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2011.
     
topup

Military Records

These are the four parishioners' Commonwealth War Graves in the local cemetery (all World War One):

  1. private Charles Wilfred HENSON, Sherwood Foresters
  2. private Edmund HUDSON, London regiment
  1. private Harry Alfred HUGHES, Royal Army Ordinance Corps
  2. sapper Edward PAULEY, Royal Engineers

There are the 5 names listed on the Roll of Honour who died (3 are also listed in Bilborough parish ROH:

  1. gunner Edwin George BREWSTER, RFA
  2. pte. George DOBNEY, MG Corps
  3. driver William Richard FLACK, RFA
  4. pte. Charles Wilfred HENSON, Sherwood Foresters
  5. bombardier Alfred John PALING, RFA

Details on these individuals can be found at the Nottingham War Memorials web site.

topup

Names, Geographical

  • The village of Strelley was first recorded as "Straleia", meaning: "field on the road or street".
     
  • The name first appears as "Strelley" in 1284.
     
topup

Politics and Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in county Nottingham and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
     
  • This parish was in the south division of the Broxtowe Hundred or Wapentake.
     
  • District governance is provided by the Broxtowe Borough Council.
     
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Nottingham petty session hearings.
     
  • After the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, this parish became a part of the Basford Poor Law Union.
     
topup

Population

 Year Inhabitants
1801 250
1821 350
1841 284
1861 253
1871 232
1881 252
1891 204
1901 205
1911 197
1921 166
topup

Schools

  • Richard SMEDLEY founded a small school here in 1744. It taught the teaching of English and the Catechism to 20 sons of colliers until they were capable of working in the pits.
     
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Former village school on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2014. The school has been converted to a residence.
     
  • In the early 1900s children of this village attended school in nearby Bilborough.