GENUKI Home page
Nottinghamshire Nottinghamshire   Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby Places

Sturton le Steeple (or Streeton le Steeple or Sturton-in-the-Clay)

"Sturton Parish comprises the village of Sturton in the Clay, and the hamlet of Fenton, and contains 637 inhabitants and 4,104 acres of land, of which, at the enclosure in 1823, an allotment of 727a 1r 4p was awarded to the Dean and Chapter of York, in lieu of the rectorial tithes, and 127a 3r 8p to the vicar, in lieu of the small tithes.
Sturton in the Clay is a large village, consisting of four streets, on the Littleborough Road, 6 miles east by north of Retford. It was anciently called Streton, from the Roman road which passes through it to Doncaster. The church, dedicated to St Peter, is a large structure, with nave, chancel, side aisles, and lofty tower, having twelve handsome pinnacles, with a peal of five bells. The benefice is a vicarage, valued in the King's books at £5 7s 3½d, now £282.
The Bishop of Lincoln is the patron, and the Rev. Charles W. Eyre is the incumbent. G.S. Foljambe Esq. is lord of the manor, and owner of a great portion of the soil, as well as lessee of the Dean and Chapter land. The annual feast is on the Sunday before October 2nd. The Wesleyans have a neat chapel, erected in 1832, and in 1836, G.S. Foljambe Esq. erected a neat parish school, and the vicar send four children free."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2414
1891 R.G. 12 / 2639
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Sturton is a village, a township and a parish within the parliamentary borough of East Retford. It lies 6.5 miles north-east of East Retford, 5.5 miles south-west of Gainsborough in Lincolnshire and 144 miles north of London. The parish covers about 4,400 acres and includes the hamlet of Fenton.

Today, there is a large power station to the north of the village. The River Trent lies not far to the west. If you are planning a visit:

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Military History

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

    Year  Inhabitants
1801 509
1821 605
1851 637
1861 583
1871 593
1881 529
1891 505
1901 457
Return to top of page

Schools

Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information.


Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 2-December-2013 - Louis R. Mills]