"Sutton Bonnington is an extensive village on the eastern bank of the Soar, 11 miles south south west of Nottingham. It is in the two parishes of Sutton St Ann and Sutton St Michael, which support their poor jointly. There were anciently two distinct villages, the more southerly one being Sutton juxta Bonnington, and the other Bonnington, but they have long been connected by modern buildings, and borne the common name of Sutton Bonnington. It contains 1,220 inhabitants, and 2,070 acres of land, rated at £6,034, including the value of 20 acres taken by the Midland Railway company. William Paget Esq. is lord of the manor of St Ann's, and George Pynge Paget Esq. of St Michael's. At the enclosure in 1775 and 1777, the tithes of both parishes were commuted for allotments of land; to St Ann's were allotted 123a 1r, and to St Michael's 211a 35p. In 1832, Lord Tamworth sold his estate here, when Wm. Paget Esq. of Loughborough became the principal purchaser; but Jonathan Burton, Thomas Bigsby, John B. Bainbridge Esq. and Mrs Redfern of Barton have also estates here. At the top of the village is an ancient house called Hobgoblins, which was once an extensive building, as appears from the numerous foundations which are still visible, and formerly had a chapel attached to it, which belonged to Repton priory, in Derbyshire. Kirk Hill, near Zouch Bridge, is supposed to have been a Roman camp. In 1825 a number of ancient coins and urns were found in a high state of preservation, some of the latter were sold for five guineas each.
Wm. Riste, the 'Giant of England', who was 7 feet four and a half inches in height, was born in this village. He increased annually six inches in height, from 14 up to 20 years of age, and was introduced to His Majesty King George III, who presented him with a splendid suit of silk to be exhibited in."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2278|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2518|
This parish and village are in the Wold Hills and lie about 121 miles north of London, 5 miles northwest of Loughborough (in Leicestershire) and 10 miles southwest of Nottingham. Zouch Mill is a hamlet in this parish.
The River Soar flows along the west side of the parish and village and separates this place from Leicestershire. If you are planning a visit:
Year Inhabitants 1801 790 1851 1,220 1861 1,019 1871 1,009 1881 1,005 1891 993 1901 1,005 1911 956 1921 974 1931 1,132
Follow this link to Find help, report problems, or contribute information