"Sutton-cum-Lound Parish. This extensive parish is divided into the two townships of Sutton and Lound, which are bounded on the west by Barnby Moor and Torworth, and on the east by the River Idle. It contains 870 inhabitants, and 4,429 acres of rich sandy land, which produces abundant crops of wheat and turnips, and is noted for its early potatos, of which large quantities are sent to Sheffield and other markets. The common land was enclosed in 1777, when 718a, 3r 26p, now called Danes Hill Farm, were allotted to the impropriator, the Duke of Portland, and 105a 22p to the vicar, in lieu of all the tithes of the parish. The Archbishop of York enjoys the manorial rights of both Sutton and Lound. The former is all copyhold (except about 2½ acres), subject to small certain fines, and the latter is mostly freehold, belonging to resident owners, of which John Walker Esq. and Henry Bagshaw Esq. are the principal. The Duke of Portland, the Rev. William Simpson, Thomas Markham, and Joseph Allison Esqs. are the principal owners of Sutton. The Archbishop had the manor of Sutton at the Domesday survey, but that of Lound was partly soc to the King's manor of Bothamsall, and partly of the fee of Roger de Busli. Sutton stands half a mile east of the north road, and three miles north-west by north of Retford.
The church, dedicated to St Bartholomew, is an ancient gothic structure, with a large chancel, a north aisle, and a handsome pinnacled tower, in which are three bells."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]