"Sutton In Ashfield Parish extends from three to five miles west of Mansfield, and contains 7,704 inhabitants, and 5,960 acres of land, divided into the two townships of Sutton-in-Ashfield and Hucknall-under-Huthwaite, and of which 2,135 acres belong to the Duke of Portland, including 1,100 acres alloted to him at the enclosure in 1798, in lieu of rectorial tithes, His Grace being the impropriator and lord of the manor, which is partly copyhold, and was anciently a Berne of the Soke of Mansfield. Amongst the old tenures, we find that Jordon de Sutton held here of the crown, by paying 14s yearly, besides rendering homage, suit and service at the Mansfield court every three weeks, and attending the King's army in Wales with one man and horse, and harbergeon, cap of iron, lance and sword.
Sutton-in-Ashfield, 3½ miles west south west of Mansfield, is a very large village, situated on an eminence, and covering a considerable extent of ground, comprising 6,554 inhabitants and 5,160 acres of land, principally belonging to the Duke of Portland, but several others have estates here. Samuel Unwin and Co. carried on the extensive factory for spinning and making checks and nankeens, but for the last few years this factory has been closed, and in 1851, Messrs Bean and Johnson took it on a lease, and has converted it into a silk mill. The manufactures of cotton hosiery give employment to a great number of the inhabitants, there being upwards of 1,800 stocking frames in the village. Here are likewise two potteries of coarse earthenware." [WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
There was a Church Institute in Hardwick Street that was formed into an ecclesiastical parish of Saint Michael and All Angels in October, 1910. A church was soon erected, built of stone and seating 650.
Sutton-in-Ashfield is a parish comprised of the townships of Sutton-in-Ashfield and Hucknall-under-Huthwaite. The parish is 140 miles north of London, 8 miles south-west of Mansfield and covers over 6,000 acres.
Forest Side and Sutton Woodside are parts of this parish. If you are planning a visit:
Sutton in Ashfield is, and was, referred to as just Sutton. Sutton Bonnington is a separate parish.
In 1912, Company C of the 8th Battalion, Sherwwod Foresters, had its headquarters here at the Drill Hall on Alfreton Road. Lieut. M. C. Martyn, commanding; Color-Sergt. Richard John COURTNEY, drill instructor.
At the beginning of World War I, this unit was assigned to guard the Great Northern Railway. A number of the men in the unit were found unfit for active military service or were disqualified due to age, family and business ties, and other reasons. The unit marched to Derby for training.
The local newspaper was the Nottinghamshire Free Press, published every Friday by Frederick William BUCK & Sons. Publication started in 1885. Publication ended in 1986 when it amalgamated with the Recorder: Mansfield and Sutton.