Sutton-in-Ashfield and Hucknall-under-Huthwaite
Sutton In Ashfield Parish extends from three to five miles west of Mansfield, and contains 7,704 inhabitants, and 5,960 acres of land, divided into the two townships of Sutton-in-Ashfield and Hucknall-under-Huthwaite, and of which 2,135 acres belong to the Duke of Portland, including 1,100 acres alloted to him at the enclosure in 1798, in lieu of rectorial tithes, His Grace being the impropriator and lord of the manor, which is partly copyhold, and was anciently a Berne of the Soke of Mansfield. Amongst the old tenures, we find that Jordon de Sutton held here of the crown, by paying 14s yearly, besides rendering homage, suit and service at the Mansfield court every three weeks, and attending the King's army in Wales with one man and horse, and harbergeon, cap of iron, lance and sword."
Sutton-in-Ashfield, 3½ miles west south west of Mansfield, is a very large village, situated on an eminence, and covering a considerable extent of ground, comprising 6,554 inhabitants and 5,160 acres of land, principally belonging to the Duke of Portland, but several others have estates here. Samuel Unwin and Co. carried on the extensive factory for spinning and making checks and nankeens, but for the last few years this factory has been closed, and in 1851, Messrs Bean and Johnson took it on a lease, and has converted it into a silk mill. The manufactures of cotton hosiery give employment to a great number of the inhabitants, there being upwards of 1,800 stocking frames in the village. Here are likewise two potteries of coarse earthenware. The ancient fairs which had long been obsolete, were revived in 1832. They are held on the second Tuesday in April, and the last Tuesday in September, for the sale of horses, cattle, sheep, swine, cheese &c. A hiring for servants is held on November 25th, or on the following day if that day should be on a Sunday, and a market is held every Saturday, for provisions. The feast is on the second Sunday after July 10th. Sutton Grange is a large farm occupied by Mr George Bagshawe, one mile south west of the village. The church, dedicated to St Mary, has a handsome octagonal spire, and in 1328 we find it paid twenty marks yearly to the Priory of Thurgarton. The benefice is a curacy, endowed with land at Edderley, purchased with Queen Anne's bounty, and now let for upwards of £40 a year. The Duke of Devonshire is the patron, and the Rev. William Goodacre is the incumbent. The organ, which was built in 1826, and cost £300, was the gift of the late John Shooter, an eccentric blacksmith, who died in 1829 aged 57. Here are five dissenting chapels, belonging to the Independents, Calvanistic, and General Baptists, and to the Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists. There are several Friendly Societies in teh village, and a lodge of Old Fellows, and of the ancient Druids. The Mechanics Institution was established in 1842. The Independents erected a day and Sunday school in 1836, which will accommodate 200 pupils. The National School was established in 1819, and the master received £6 yearly out of the £9, the remaining £3 belongs to Hucknall-under-Huthwaite for the teaching of four poor children, from the ancient school land, viz: Fennybank Close, left in 1669 by Ann Mason; and Pothouse Close, left by Elizabeth Boot about 50 years ago. The old school being small and inconvenient for the number of children who attend. In 1845, a large, neat, new National School with a house for the master and mistress, was erected of stone, near the old school. The Duke of Portland gave £100, H.B.L. Jephson M.D. of Leamington gave £50, and many other subscriptions from the parishioners, also a grant from the National School Building Society. The master and mistree receive £70 per annum, the £6 above named being included in the £70. In 1681, John Newton charged Wheldon's Farm with the giving of two cloth coats to two of the most needy in the parish yearly. A horrid murder was committed in the village in 1830 by Henry Shooter, on the body of his father, after killing whom, he stabbed his mother, but before he could inflict on her a fatal blow, the patricide heard some of the neighbours entering the house, and as he could not escape, he cut his own throat and expired soon afterwards. It is supposed the misguided youth committed the rash act from his impatience to possess his father's property. Joseph Whitehead, a framework knitter, who died here in 1811 aged 27, distinguished himself in the study of astronomy, constructed an ororary, and was an excellent musician. William Holmes, a needle maker in this village, measured 42 inches in height, and on February 27th 1851 he cut his throat in his garden, and expired in a few minutes, he was in his 37th year of age. In 1852, the town was lighted by gas, under Lord Portman's act, capital £2,200, in 220 £10 shares; the greater part of the shares are taken by the inhabitants; there works were erected by C.W. Kerby, gas engineer, on a piece of land situated on Engine Green, belonging to the Duke of Portland. Hy. Crofts treasurer; Chas. Plumbe secretary; William Oates auditor; and George Oscroft Esq. and Rev. William Goodacre are the trustees. The north Midland Railway, to Nottingham, Mansfield and Codnor park, passes through this parish, and has a neat station in Forest Lane, about one mile from the town.
Eastfield is a considerable village about a mile east of the church, consisting principally of houses that have been built within the last 23 years, and two coarse potteries.
Fullwood is a hamlet, one mile west by south of Sutton, and one mile further in the same direction is an extra-parochial farm called Fullwood Crow Tree, belonging to the Duke of Portland, and occupied by William Marshall.
Hucknall-under-Huthwaite is a village and township containing 1,154 inhabitants, and 800 acres of land, one and a half miles west north west of Sutton-in-Ashfield. It is principally owned by the Duke of Portland, but John Dodsley Esq. has also an estate here, besides several smaller freeholders. Here is an extensive colliery, many framework knitters, and two chapels belonging to the Methodists and Independents. The poor have 8s yearly pursuant to the will of William Day and another donor, and £3 out of the £9 from the ancient school land, viz: Fennybank Close, left in 1669 by Anne Mason; and Pothouse Close, left by Elizabeth Boot about fifty years ago to the parish of Sutton, belongs to Hucknall, for the teaching of four of the poorest children in the township. The whole of this £3 was paid up to the year 1846, since which time the township of Sutton has claimed £1 10s out of the £3. Mrs Dickins teaches the four children and received the thirty shillings yearly.
White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853