GENUKI Home page
Nottinghamshire Nottinghamshire   Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby Places

Sutton in Ashfield

"Sutton In Ashfield Parish extends from three to five miles west of Mansfield, and contains 7,704 inhabitants, and 5,960 acres of land, divided into the two townships of Sutton-in-Ashfield and Hucknall-under-Huthwaite, and of which 2,135 acres belong to the Duke of Portland, including 1,100 acres alloted to him at the enclosure in 1798, in lieu of rectorial tithes, His Grace being the impropriator and lord of the manor, which is partly copyhold, and was anciently a Berne of the Soke of Mansfield. Amongst the old tenures, we find that Jordon de Sutton held here of the crown, by paying 14s yearly, besides rendering homage, suit and service at the Mansfield court every three weeks, and attending the King's army in Wales with one man and horse, and harbergeon, cap of iron, lance and sword.
Sutton-in-Ashfield, 3½ miles west south west of Mansfield, is a very large village, situated on an eminence, and covering a considerable extent of ground, comprising 6,554 inhabitants and 5,160 acres of land, principally belonging to the Duke of Portland, but several others have estates here. Samuel Unwin and Co. carried on the extensive factory for spinning and making checks and nankeens, but for the last few years this factory has been closed, and in 1851, Messrs Bean and Johnson took it on a lease, and has converted it into a silk mill. The manufactures of cotton hosiery give employment to a great number of the inhabitants, there being upwards of 1,800 stocking frames in the village. Here are likewise two potteries of coarse earthenware."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]

Bibliography

Return to top of page

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1851 H.O. 107 / 2123
1861 R.G. 9 / 2426 & 2427
1871 R.G. 10 / 3468
1891 R.G. 12 / 2652, 2653 & 2661
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Sutton-in-Ashfield is a prish comprised of the townships of Sutton-in-Ashfield and Hucknall-under-Huthwaite. The parish is 140 miles north of London, 8 miles south-west of Mansfield and covers over 6,000 acres.

If you are planning a visit:

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Military History

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

    Year Population
1801 3,311
1841 5,734
1851 7,692
1861 7,643
1901 18,943
Return to top of page

Schools

Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information.


Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 18-February-2014 - Louis R. Mills]