"Syerston, another parochial chapelry, annexed to the vicarage of East Stoke, is a small village, 6 miles south-west of Newark, on the east side of the Newark and Bingham road. It contains 208 inhabitants and 805 acres of land, of the rateable value of £1,400. It was enclosed in 1794, when allotments were made for the tithes to the vicar and prebendary of Stoke. Syerston Hall is a neat, modern, brick mansion, on an eminence, half a mile west of the village, and is the seat of George Fillingham Esq., who is lord of the manor, and principal owner of the land.
The church, All Saints, is a small fabric, with chancel and tower, 1½ miles south of Stoke. A feast is held on the first Sunday after Lammas." [WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
The Great War Bulletin for December 7, 1914 tells us that two men of Syerston, G. S. COOPER and T. BAGULEY, had been appointed as "Special Constables" to assist the police force in the event of a German invasion.
RAF Syerston was a late starter in World War II, built in the late 1930s due to concerns about German aggression. The base lies mostly in Flintham parish, but Syerston is happy to claim the name.
A Vulcan bomber crashed at RAF Syerston field in 1958.