GENUKI Home page
Nottinghamshire Nottinghamshire   Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby Places

Syerston

"Syerston, another parochial chapelry, annexed to the vicarage of East Stoke, is a small village, 6 miles south-west of Newark, on the east side of the Newark and Bingham road. It contains 208 inhabitants and 805 acres of land, of the rateable value of £1,400. It was enclosed in 1794, when allotments were made for the tithes to the vicar and prebendary of Stoke.
Syerston Hall is a neat, modern, brick mansion, on an eminence, half a mile west of the village, and is the seat of George Fillingham Esq., who is lord of the manor, and principal owner of the land. The church, All Saints, is a small fabric, with chancel and tower, 1½ miles south of Stoke. A feast is held on the first Sunday after Lammas."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2472
1891 R.G. 12 / 2708
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

This village and parish are 6 miles south-west of Newark-on-Trent. The parish only covers 770 acres.

If you are planning a visit:

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Military History

Return to top of page

Names, Geographical

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

    Year  Population
1801 109
18351 138
1851 241
1901 123
Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information.


Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 29-March-2014 - Louis R. Mills]