"Thorney is a small village, 8 miles east of Tuxford, and 14 miles north by east of Newark. Its parish forms a tongue of land which stretches into Lincolnshire, and comprises the three townships of Thorney, Broadholme and Wigsley, in which are 413 inhabitants and 4,140 acres of land, of which 300 acres are in woods, of the value of £2,690. The manor of Thorney has long been possessed by the Nevile family, and now belongs to the Rev. Christopher Nevile, who resides in the Hall, a neat modern mansion near the church.
The church is a handsome edifice with two bells, dedicated to St Helen. It was rebuilt of stone at the sole expense of the present vicar and the Nevile family. It is in the Norman style and will seat 300 persons. The pews are all open, and all the windows are of beautifully stained glass. It was consecrated April 11 1850. In the vestry are two ancient tablets of the Nevile family. The living is a vicarage, valued in the King's books at £4 7s 6d, now at £1,600. The Rev. Christopher Nevile B.A. is the patron and incumbent, and the Rev. Henry Nevile B.A. the curate. There is a small vicarage house and 18 acres of glebe, purchased with £400 of Queen Anne's bounty. In 1841, a Sunday School was erected by Captain Nevile, father of the present incumbent, and about 50 children attend.
The township contains 2,380 acres of land, of the rateable value of £1,400. The vicarial tithe was commuted in 1843 for £170."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]