GENUKI Home page
Nottinghamshire Nottinghamshire   Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby Places

Thoroton

As described in 1871:

"THOROTON, a parish in Bingham district, Notts; 2 miles N of Elton r. station, and 4 NE by E of Bingham. Post town, Nottingham. Acres, 730. Real property, £1,168. Pop., 210. Houses, 43. T. Hall is the residence of G. Storer. The living is a vicarage annexed to Orston. The church is good."
[John Marius Wilson's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales," 1870-72]

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2483
1891 R.G. 12 / 2717
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Thoroton is a small village, township, parochial chapelry and a parish on the north-west bank of the Smite River (or Rivulet). The village stands 4 miles north-east of Bingham, 9 miles south-west of Newark-on-Trent and 125 miles north of London.

If you are planning a visit:

Return to top of page

Manors

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Military Records

The War Memorial is a white marble plaque with black engraved letters on the north wall of the parish church.

To read the inscription and the names on the War Memorial, see the Southwell Churches History Project site.

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

    Year  Population
1841 120
1851 177
1861 210
1871 188
1881 152
1891 121
1901 88
1911 100
1921 84
1931 105
Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 24-February-2014 - Louis R. Mills]