"Thorpe-by-Newark is a village and parish, 3 miles south-west of Newark, with a population of 108 inhabitants and 697 acres of land of the rateable value of £1,419. About 180 acres of common land was enclosed 40 years ago, and exonerated from tithes, but all the rest still remains titheable. Sir Robert Howe Bromley, Bart., is principal owner, and lord of the manor.
The church, dedicated to St Lawrence, is a small structure, upon an eminence, and has 40 acres of glebe. The rectory, valued in the King;s books at £8, now £280, is in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor, and the Rev. Charles Townsend M.A. is the incumbent, who resides at the rectory, a neat, modern, brick mansion near the church. W.R. Brockton Esq. is a small owner, and Mr John Tomlin is a resident owner, with a few other small owners.
The residents are, Rev. Chas. Townsend, M.A., rectory; and Wm. Bennet, Thos. Fryer, Wm. Smith, and John Tomlin, farmers ; Wm. Smith, cottager, and George Mason, joiner."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]