Thorpe by Newark
"Thorpe-by-Newark is a village and parish, 3 miles south-west of Newark, with a
population of 108 inhabitants and 697 acres of land of the rateable value of
£1,419. About 180 acres of common land was enclosed 40 years ago, and
exonerated from tithes, but all the rest still remains titheable. Sir Robert
Howe Bromley, Bart., is principal owner, and lord of the manor.
The church, dedicated to St Lawrence, is a small structure, upon an eminence,
and has 40 acres of glebe. The rectory, valued in the King;s books at £8, now
£280, is in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor, and the Rev. Charles Townsend
M.A. is the incumbent, who resides at the rectory, a neat, modern, brick
mansion near the church. W.R. Brockton Esq. is a small owner, and Mr John
Tomlin is a resident owner, with a few other small owners."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Lawrence.
- The church was built of Bennington blue stone with Ancaster stone facings.
- The church, with the exception of the tower, was restored in 1873.
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1555.
- The church was in the rural deanery of Newark.
- The national grid reference is SK 7649.
- You'll want an Ordnance Survey Explorer map, which has 2.5 inches to the mile scale.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
- The parish was in the southern civision of the ancient Newark Wapentake (Hundred) in the eastern division of the county.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.
[Last updated: 17-September-2011 - Louis R. Mills]