GENUKI Home page
Nottinghamshire Nottinghamshire   Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby Places

Thorpe in the Glebe (Thorpe Bochart)

"This is a small village and parish, 11 miles south by east of Nottingham, containing only 38 inhabitants amd 930 acres of land, principally belonging to Mansfield Parkyns and George Frith Esquires, the former of whom is lord of the manor and patron of the rectory, which is valued at £2 3s 4d. The only remains of the church is a heap of ruins, nearly overgrown with grass, upon which the present rector, the Rev. T. Grantham, preached his introductory sermon in 1824, and has never since officiated in the parish. Tradition says, that this place was destroyed either at the Battle of Willoughby Field, or by the hail-storm noticed at Stanton-on-the-Wolds."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2278 & 2472
1871 R.G. 10 / 3260
1891 R.G. 12 / 2518
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

This parish lies some 120 miles north of London, about 6 miles north-east of Loughborough and just west of Willoughby on the Wolds. The parish covers about 863 acres.

There is no village. The village was deserted by 1535. The site of the village is just a few mounds and dips. There are a few scattered farmhouses. If you are planning a visit:

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Names, Geographical

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

    Year  Population
1801 20
1851 33
1861 36
1871 49
1881 51
1891 33
1901 37
1911 30
Return to top of page

Schools

Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information.


Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 24-May-2014 - Louis R. Mills]