"Thurgarton is a pleasant village and parish, situated at the foot of a declivity overlooking the vale of the Trent, three miles south of Southwell. It contains 385 inhabitants and 2,477 acres of land, enclosed about 80 years ago, when land was allotted for the tithes to Trinity College, Cambridge, which has the patronage of the curacy, and about one third of the lordship. The greater part of the remainder belongs to Richard Milward Esq., who is lord of the manor, and who resides at Thurgarton Priory, a large handsome mansion. The grounds about it rise in gentle swells, and are agreeably diversified with wood and water. The worthy owner has made great improvements since the estate came into his possession.
The old Priory was taken down about 90 years ago by J.G. Cooper Esq., who erected the present mansion on its site, the cellars of which are the only portions of the religious sanctuary that now remain. The ancient priory was founded in 1130 by Ralph de Ayncourt, for canons of the order of St Augustine. He dedicated it to St Peter, and left God's favour to his heirs if they preserved it, but God's anger and curse if they did not. It possessed, at the dissolution, a yearly revenue of £259 15s 10d. The antiquary must be allowed to lament the false taste which dictated the destruction of so noble a monument of ancient grandeur. The Rev. Thomas Coates Cane also has an estate here."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2472|
This village and parish lies about 11 miles northwest of Nottingham and about 3 miles directly south of Southwell. The River Trent runs about a mile away to the southeast of the village. The parish covers about 2,770 acres. Gonalston parish lies to the southwest and Bleasby parish to the southeast.
If you are planning a visit to the village:
Year Inhabitants 1801 334 1851 385 1861 361 1881 328 1901 321
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.[Last updated: 8-July-2011 - Louis R. Mills]