"Treswell, or Tireswelle, 5 miles east by south of Retford, is a tolerable village and parish, having 60 houses, 254 inhabitants, and about 1721 acres of land, all of which is a fertile clay, except the east end, which is sandy, and adjoins the Trent marsh. The Rev. C.W. Eyre is lord of the manor, but the land belongs to several proprietors, amongst whom are John Wells, John Giles and G.H. Vernon Esq. It was anciently in two manors, called the East and West Hold, the latter of which was long the property and residence of the Musters family, who held it of the Richmond fee; and the other, which was held of the Tickhill fee, passed from Roger, the tenant of Roger de Busli, to William de Lovetot, who gave his portion of the church here to Worksop Priory. These manors were afterwards united in the Hercy family, and from then passed to the Roos's and Broughton's. The Church is an ancient structure, with a lofty embattled tower, and is dedicated to St John the Baptist. The Rectory was like the manor in two medieties, valued in the King's books one at £9 15s 8d, and the other at £8 1s 4d; but it was consolidated in 1764, and is now in the alternate patronage of the Dean and Chapter of York, and the heirs of the Stephenson family, and of the value of £254. The Rev. henry Townley Daniel is the rector. The tithes were commuted in 1843 for about £280, exclusive of 45a 1r 2½r of glebe, and the commons were enclosed in 1838. A small Methodist chapel was built here in 1825. The feast is on the second Sunday after Whitsunday."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2415|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2640|
Treswell is both a village and a parish about 5 miles east-by-south from Retford, 10 miles south-east of Gainsborough and 144 miles north of London. The parish covers 1,570 acres. The east end of the parish borders on the Trent Marsh.
If you are planning a visit:
Year Inhabitants 1851 254 1861 270 1871 266 1881 285 1901 178 1911 236 1921 221
Find help, report problems, or contribute information