"Trowell is a pleasant village at the foot of a steep declivity near the Erewash, 5¾ miles west of Nottingham. The parish has 392 inhabitants and 2,340 acres of land, rated to the poor at £2,335, all belonging to Lord Middleton except 200 acres alloted to the rector, at the enclosure in 1788. His lordship has an extensive colliery on Trowell Moor. In 1843 a new national Schoolroom was erected, and at the free school on the moor, 15 children from Wollaton, 10 from Trowell and 5 from Cossall "are educated at the expense of Lord Middleton". He is also patron of the rectory, which was in two medieties, valued in the King's books at £4 14s 4d, each now £440, and is now enjoyed by the Rev. Francis Hewgill. The church is dedicated to St Helen, has a nave and side aisles, and the chancel window is stained glass. It has a noble tower with six bells, cast about 1790, and was repewed and repaired in 1836 by Lord Middleton. John Lowe left in 1837, to the minister of Trowell, for the time being, the sum of £100 for the use of the church Sunday School. The feast is on Whitsunday. The poor have 20s yearly, from Lord Middleton, pursuant to the will of Elizabeth Hacker in 1780, and also 20s from Handley's charity."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2437|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2667|
Trowell is a village and a parish which lies only 5 miles west of Nottingham. The parish borders Derbyshire to the west and Stapleford to the south. The Erewash (or Ere Wash) River flows around the village to the south. The parish covers about 1,574 acres.
If you are planning a visit:
Year Population 1801 235 1851 392 1861 343 1871 270 1881 421 1891 414 1901 434 1911 404 1921 360 1931 435 1951 1,536
Find help, report problems, or contribute information