"WELLOW, a parish, with a village, in Southwell district, Notts; 6¼ miles SW of Tuxford r. station. It has a post-office under Newark. Acres, 991. Real property, £1,615. Pop. in 1851, 597; in 1861, 468. Houses, 114. The decrease of pop. was caused by depression in the chair manufacture. The manor belongs to the Earl of Scarborough. W. Hall is the seat of W. S. Ward, Esq. Jordan Castle was a fortified seat of Jordan Foliot. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £100. Patron, the Earl of Scarborough. The church is chiefly of brick, and recently was bad. There are two Methodist chapels, an hospital and dispensary, and charities £9." [John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales," 1870-72]
Wellow did not show up in the 1086 Domesday Book. Some say that it didn't exist yet.
Many people in the parish were wood turners and chair makers. Others cultivated hops.
There is a local legend of the hamlet of Grymston, which was swallowed up by an earthquake. The "Grymston Ghost" is used to frighten children.
There has been a maypole on the green since at least 1856. After trying a number of different wooden poles, a metal pole was installed in 1977. That pole had to be taken down in 2010 and the next year saw a steel pole installed. And, yes, ribbon dancing around the maypole still takes place here.
Steve FAREHAM has a photograph of The Maypole on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2008.
Andy STEVENSON has a photograph of The May Queen on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2010.
Geoff DUNN has a photograph of the Durham Ox Public House on the Newark Road on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2006.
These are the names associated with the Durham Ox in various directories:
Sam BENTON, vict.
John BENNETT, grocer
The other pub in the village is the Olde Red Lion on Eakling Road.
Wellow Hall was a large mansion situate at the entrance to the village from Ollerton. In 1853, William Squire WARD, a surgeon, was the owner and resident. Dr. WARD operated a District Hospital and Dispensary in the west side of the hall. It is unknown if any records have survived. Thomas Middleton WILLIAMS was the assistant surgeon.
Jordon Castle is the embattled manor house of Grymston, formerly the property of one Jordon FOLIOT.