GENUKI Home page
Nottinghamshire Nottinghamshire   Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby Places

West Bridgford (Bridgeford)

"Bridgeford West, so called from its situation by the bridge over the Trent. It is a pleasant and well built village and parish on the south side of the Trent, one and a half miles south by east of Nottingham. The lordship contains 258 inhabitants and 1,190 acres of land, all belonging to John C. Musters Esq. (a minor), except one estate of 57 acres which is the property of Mr Clifford C. Caunt.
The church is dedicated to St Giles, and is a fine, ancient structure with tower and pinnacles, which appears to great advantage, peeping above the trees which surround it. The chancel was repaired at considerable expense in 1833. The tithes were commuted in 1840 for £262. The benefice is a rectory valued in the King's books at £16 4s 2d, now at £388. J. Musters Esq. is the patron, and the Rev. Wm. Musters of Colwick is the rector, for whom the Rev. John Peatfield officiates.
The school here was built in 1802 by the Rev. Wm. Thompson, who endowed it with £902 stock for the education of ten poor children, seven from Bridgford and three from Gamston. The master received £15 a year. Bridgford also partakes of Dame Frances Pierrepont's charity."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2445
1891 R.G. 12 / 2679
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

West Bridgford is a village, a township and a parish on the south bank of the River Trent at the juntion of the Grantham Canal, 2 miles south-east of Nottingham city. The parish covers 3,046 acres. In 1851, the parish covered 1,720 acres and contained the township of Gamston.

The village has become part of the conurbation that is Nottingham city. If you are planning a visit:

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Military History

Return to top of page

Military Records

On the Helles Memorial, Gallipoli:

  1. ELLIOTT Ainslie, Sgt, Derbyshire Yeomanry, age 29, KiA 22/08/1915, service No 671. Son of the late Mr & Mrs Alfred Elliott, of Prospect House, Swanick, Alfreton, Derbyshire, husband of Elsie Elliott, of 36 Henry Rd, West Bridgford.
Return to top of page

Names, Geographical

Return to top of page

Politics and Governance

Return to top of page.

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

    Year West Bridgford Gamston
1801 235 97
1851 258 124
1861 280 110
1881 293 99
1901 7,018 96
Return to top of page

Schools

Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 23-March-2014 - Louis R. Mills]