"West Drayton is a small village, township and parochial chapelry, containing 101 inhabitants and 612 acres of land, near the confluence of the rivers Maun, Wollen and Idle, on the Worksop and Tuxford Road, 2½ miles north-north-west of the latter town. This manor was anciently of the fee of Roger de Busli, and is now the property of the Duke of Newcastle, who is also lord of the manor. The church, or chapel, is a small fabric, with a turret and one bell. The living is a perpetual curacy, valued at £165, annexed to the vicarage of East Markham.
Walters' Charity. In 1688, Henry Walter bequeathed out of lands in Yorkshire, £25 per annum towards the maintenance of a school at West Drayton; £20 a year to four poor widows of ministers, to be elected by the ministers of East and West Markham and Kirton; and £3 a year to the trustees for their trouble. The master is appointed by the Duke of Newcastle, and the before-names ministers are visitors to the school, which is open to the poor of West Drayton, Bothamsall, Haughton, Elksley, Gamston, Milton and Bevercotes."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
Note: There is a West Drayton in Middlesex county as well.
|1841||H.O. 107 / 849|
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2417|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2642|
West Drayton is a village, a chapelry and a parish on the River Maun, 140 miles north of London, 4 miles south of Retford and 2.5 miles north-west of Tuxford. The parish covers 954 acres.
Haughton (or Haughton Park) is a hamlet and former Chapelry. It lies about 2 miles south-west of the village.
If you are planning a visit:
Year Population 1801 95 1851 101 1861 96 1871 98 1881 75 1891 75 1901 90 1911 86 1921 72
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.