"Leake (West) is a small village and parish, one mile west of East leake, and ten miles south south west of Nottingham. It has 190 inhabitants and 1,380 acres of land, all belonging to Lord Middleton, except the rectory house, with ten acres of glebe. The church is a low, ancient edifice, dedicated to St Helen, with chancel, side aisle, and ivy mantled belfry, in which are two bells. The rectory is a pleasant mansion, occupied by the Rev. John Bateman, and stands at the west end of the church. In 1850 a school was erected for the use of the parish. The feast is held on the Sunday after Martinmas."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire." 1853]
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2278|
|1881||R.G. 11 / 3149|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2518|
This parish and village are in southwest Nottinghamshire and lie about 120 miles north of London, 6 miles north of Loughborough (in Leicestershire) and 10 miles due south of Nottingham. The parish covers 2,540 acres and includes Leake Sich about 1 mile southeast.
The village sits along a small brook that flows into the Soar River at Kingston. If you are planning a visit:
Year Inhabitants 1801 171 1851 190 1871 159 1881 162 1891 154 1901 112 1911 139 1921 119 1931 132 1951 116 1961 114
Follow this link to find help, report problems, or contribute information