"Widmerpool is a small, neat village and parish on the sides of two opposite declivities of the Wolds, 9 miles south-south-east of Nottingham. Its parish contains 147 inhabitants, and 2,190 acres of strong clay land, enclosed in 1803, when 460 acres were allotted to the rector in lieu of tithes. Frederick Robinson Esq. is the proprietor, lord of the manor, and patron of this rectory, which is valued in the King's books at £4 16s 0½d, now £222, and enjoyed by the Rev. John Robinson M.A., who rebuilt the rectory house, a handsome gothic mansion, about twenty-three years ago. The church, a neat structure, was rebuilt in 1832, with a handsome gothic spire, but in 1836 it was struck by the electric fluid, which threw down half of the spire, and broke all the glass in the windows. The remaining part of the spire was taken down, and it was finished by a beautiful tower, in which are three bells. The churchyard is ornamentaly planted with evergreens. The General Baptist Chapel was built in 1805." [White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
This parish and small village are in the Wold Hills and lie about 120 miles north of London, 9 miles northeast of Loughborough (in Leicestershire) and 9 miles due southeast of Nottingham. The parish covers 2,106 acres.
The village sits near the junction of several small streams. If you are planning a visit:
By automobile, the village is west of the A46 and north of the A6006.