"Wilford is a delightful village and parish situated on the south bank of the Trent, 1½ miles south of Nottingham by the ferry, and three miles by the turnpike. It has several neat villas belonging to opulent families, engaged in the trade and commerce of Nottingham. It contains 570 inhabitants and 1,700 acres of land, of the rateable value of £3,400. Sir J.G.J. Clifton, Bart, is lord of the manor and owner of the soil, except the glebe, and about 70 acres belonging to Henry Smith Esq.
The church is a fine old structure, occupying a situation close to the Trent, and commands a most pleasing view of Nottingham and its vicinity, and of the river which is here lined by a long row of lofty elms. It is dedicated to St Wilfrid, and the name of the village is evidently a contraction of Wilfrid's Ford, as there is both a ford and a ferry close by. The tower is low, but the nave and the two side aisles are spacious, and the chancel has a handsome altarpiece. The living is a rectory, valued in the King's books at £18 7s 6d, and received at the enclosure, in 1766, an allotment of 227 acres in lieu of tithes. The Rev. Thomas Thorpe is the incumbent, and resides at the rectory house, a neat mansion at the south-east corner of the churchyard. Sir J.G.J. Clifton, Bart, is the patron of the living.
Wilford seems to have been anciently a Roman station, as many Roman coins were dug up here about 50 years ago, most of which were of the latter emperors. Wilford House, the seat of Henry Smith Esq., is a large handsome brick mansion, with extensive pleasure grounds tastefully laid out."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2446|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2680|
Wilford village and parish have been absorbed into the city of Nottingham. The old village is bounded on the north and the west by the River Trent.
If you are planning a visit:
Year Inhabitants 1801 478 1851 570 1901 5,079
Find help, report problems, or contribute information[Last updated: 20-February-2013 - Louis R. Mills]