"Winkburn parish, formerly Winkbourne, three and a half miles north of Southwell, has a small village pleasantly situated upon an eminence, which contains 137 inhabitants and 2,362a 1r 31p of land, including 380 acres of woods, of the rateable value of £1,900. Edward Valentine Pegge Burnell Esq. is the sole owner, and lord of the manor, who resides at the Hall, a handsome brick mansion, overlooking the vale of the little River Winkle, near the east end of the village. It has recently been enlarged and considerably improved, and has a diversified and well wooded park of 80 acres. The village has also undergone great improvement, by the removal of several dilapidated cottages, and the erection of ten ornamental ones in their place. It was anciently the property of St John of Jerusalem.
The church stands near the Hall. It is a small, ancient structure, and the tower, in which are tree bells, is completely covered with ivy. It has just been new roofed, and thoroughly cleaned and repaired at the expense of E.V. Pegge Burnell Esq., who is patron of the curacy, of which the Rev. P. Turton is incumbent. The living is a donative. In the chancel are several monuments to the ancestors of Mr Burnell. The Methodists have a chapel erected in 1814."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
|1841||H.O. 107 / 867|
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2472|
This parish and village lie 4 miles north of Southwell and 8 miles north-west of Newark. The parish covers almost 2,400 acres and includes several mineral springs.
The village sits on a small rise over the surrounding countryside. If you are planning a visit:
In the parish church on the north side of the chancel is a brass tablet to the memory of Colonel Hugh D'Arcy PEGGE-BURNELL of the 7th Hussars dated 1883.
Year Inhabitants 1801 153 1851 129 1861 172 1871 142 1881 132 1891 115 1901 103 1911 93 1921 104 1931 90
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.