"Winthorpe is a picturesque and well-built village, upon a richly wooded eminence above the Trent, 2 miles north-east by north or Newark. Its parish contains 243 inhabitants and 680 acres of land, and the rateable value is £1,965. At the enclosure in 1757, 82 acres of land was awarded in lieu of tithes.
The church, dedicated to All Saints, stands in the highest part of the village. It was rebuilt of brick in 1778 and 1779, except the south wall. It is a neat, small structure, with a chancel and tower, in which are three bells. The living is a rectory, valued in the King;s books at £7 11s 0½d, now at £100. John Handley Esq. of North Muskham Grange is patron, and the Rev. William Handley M.A. the incumbent. A neat and handsome Wesleyan chapel was erected in 1840, at a cost of £150, and will seat about 120. Mr G.H. Gamble gave the ground and £50, and the rest was raised by subscription.
The Duke of Newcastle is lord of the manor, which was soc to Newark. Lord Middleton is the principal owner, who purchased the estate in 1832, of Slingsby Duncombe Esq. Winthorpe Hall is an elegant mansion of two storeys, on a rustic basement. It was the seat of the late Roger Pocklington Esq. It is now occupied by Grovernor Hodgkinson Esq., but is the property of Lord Middleton."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
- The parish was in the North Collingham sub-district of the Newark Registration District.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
||R.G. 9 / 2476
||R.G. 12 / 2711
- The Anglican parish church was dedicated to All Saints.
- The church was rebuilt in 1886-88 after the old building fell into disrepair.
- Matthew SMITH has a photograph of the new All Saints Church on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2005.
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1687 for baptisms, 1697 for burials and 1698 for marriages. The register in the archives is in fair condition..
- Also, you can search the East Trent Genealogy site for church records.
- The church was in the rural deanery of Newark.
- The Wesleyan Methodists had a chapel here by 1822, although this chapel was later replaced by a new building in 1849. This chapel was sold as a private residence in the 1900s.
- The parish was in the North Collingham sub-district of the Newark Registration District for Civil Registration.
- Civil Registration started in July, 1837.
Winthorpe is a township and a parish located just 2 miles north of Newark and 126 miles north of London. The River Trent is the parish's western boundary. The parish covers only 641 acres.
If you are planning a visit:
- Winthorpe Hall is a two storey stone manor house, In 1881 it was the seat of Major George Thomas DUNCOMBE.
- Christine HASMAN has a photograph of Winthorpe Hall on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2006.
- The national grid reference is SK 8156.
- You'll want an Ordinance Survey Explorer map, which has 2.5 inches to the mile scale.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
- This place was an ancient parish in Nottingham county and it became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- The parish was in the northern division of the ancient Newark Wapentake (Hundred) in the southern division of the county.
- Brewer's Charity, left in 1616, generated £48 in 1881 and was distributed to the poor annually in the form of coal and money.
- The Common Lands were enclosed here in 1757.
- After the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, the parish became part of the Newark Poor Law Union.
- A School Board was formed here in 1879.
- A Board School was built here in 1879, to be shared with Longford parish.
- The school has its own websitebut no history or student archives are found there.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information
[Last updated: 29-July-2013 - Louis R. Mills]