"Wollaton is a parish and village in North Notts, hundred of Broxtowe, Radford union, County Court district and rural deanery of Nottingham. It is about three miles west from Nottingham Market Place. St Leonard's Church is an ancient stone building, chiefly of the Perpendicular period, containing chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch, with handsome spire, clock and six bells. It is about to be thoroughly restored. The register dates from 1576. The rectory, with that of Cossall annexed, is of the value of £721, with residence and seven acres of glebe, in the gift of Lord Middleton. A school was established here in 1841, at the expense of the late Lord Middleton, and is still maintained by the family. The Hall is situated on an eminence, in the midst of a well wooded park of 750 acres. It was finished by Sir F. Willoughby in 1583 having been eight years in building. It is square, constructed of Ancaster stone, with large towers and pinnacles at the angles. The approach to the hall is through a long winding avenue of lofty limes. There are two handsome stone lodges. The hall was threatened by an advance of the Reform rioters in 1831, but they were repulsed by the Wollaton troop of the South Notts Yeomanry Cavalry. The pits of the Wollaton Colliery Company are at the west end of the village, and the Midland Railway branch from Radford to Trowell intersects the parish. The feast is on the Sunday nearest November 6. Area: 2069a 0r 1p; rateable value £6,884 19s." [WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
Wollaton Cemetery is an acre of land set aside by Lord Middleton in Noggy Lane. It was consecrated in May, 1879 and was under the Parish Council's Burial Board's control until transferred to Nottingham Borough circa 1933.
Wollaton is a village, a township and was a parish only 3 miles west of Nottingham city. It has since become part of the conurbation of Nottingham city. The parish covered about 2,069 acres and the Nottingham Canal passes through it.
If you are planning a visit to the village:
Take the A609 about three miles west from the heart of Nottingham.
In 1891 E Troop of the Southern Nottinghamshire Yeomanry Cavalry were stationed here. Captain G. FELLOWS, commanding; Sergt.-major Levi CHANDLER, drill instructor.
In 1912 this was D Squadron of the South Nottinghamshire Hussars. Major H. L. LEY, commanding; Capt. H. L. BIRKIN, second in command; Sergt.-Major T. A. PEARMAN, drill instructor. Captain BIRKIN would be promoted to Major and serve at Gallipoli.