GENUKI Home page
Nottinghamshire Nottinghamshire   Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby Places

Woodhouse Hall

"Woodhouse Hall, with an estate of 270 acres, forms an extra-parochial district, lying near the west side of Welbeck Park, adjoining to Holbeck Woodhouse, 4½ miles south-south-west of Worksop. It is the property of the Duke of Portland, who thoroughly drained a great portion of the land in 1844. It is let to Mr John Ludlow, farmer, who resides at the Hall, and ancient mansion of considerable extent, which is still surrounded by a moat. Thoroton says the Robert, the first Earl of Kingston, who died in 1643, "resided at his ancient house of Woodhouse, the most part of 40 years", but his son and heir dwelt at Holme pierrepoint. This was anciently part of Cuckney, and is no doubt the site of the "Castle of Cuckney" which was built by the founder of Welbeck Abbey, and which was afterwards occupied by the descendents of his brother Ralph, who took the name of Silvan, from their residence at this manor in the woods, which they subsequently gave to the monks at Welbeck."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2422
1891 R.G. 12 / 2647
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Woodhouse Hall is a village and a parish 4 miles south-west of Worksop on the border with Derbyshire. The parish covered 303 acres.

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

    Year  Population
1811 8
1851 8
1881 129
1901 185
Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information.


Valid HTML 4.0! [Last updated: 28-October-2013 - Louis R. Mills]