"ASTON STEEPLE, a parish in the hundred of Wootton, in the county of Oxford, 6 miles to the N. of Woodstock, its post town. It is situated in the fertile valley of the river Cherwell, and on the Oxford canal. Middle Aston is a township included in this parish The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford, value £582, in the patronage of the Principal and Fellows of Brasenose College, Oxford. The church, which is an ancient edifice and contains some monuments of the Molins, to whom the manor belonged, is dedicated to St. Peter. There is a free school and some almshouses, established and endowed by Dr. Radcliffe, who formerly held the rectory of Aston. A mineral spring exists in the parish, and Roman remains have been found."
"MIDDLE ASTON, a township in the parish of Aston Steeple, hundred of Wootton, county Oxford, 1 mile N. of Steeple-Aston, and 5 miles N. of Westbury. The township contains only two or three farmhouses, and a few cottages. The greater part of the common is now enclosed. There is a fire-engine society, the engines being stationed at Aston Steeple. There is a place of worship for the Wesleyans."
[The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]