"ACTON BURNELL, a parish in the hundred of Condover, in the county of Salop, 8 miles to the N.W. of Much Wenlock, and 9 S.E. from Shrewsbury, the post town. It includes the chapelries of Acton-Pigott and Ruckley with Langley. In this parish are the remains of an ancient castle, situated on Acton Hill, and which belonged to the Burners. In the year 1282, a great council or parliament of Edward I. was held here, at which the "Statutum de Mercatoribus" was passed, a law to facilitate the recovery of debts by merchants. It is called the "Statute of Acton-Burnell". The castle at that time belonged to Robert Burnell, who was Bishop of Bath and Wells, and Lord High Chancellor. The king and his court were entertained at the castle, the lords met in the hall, and the commons in a large barn belonging to Shrewsbury Abbey, which stands there to this day. The living is a rent.* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £350, in the patronage of Sir E. J. Smythe, Bart., who resides at Acton Park. The church is dedicated to St. Mary, and contains a canopied brass of a Burnell. The parish is a meet for the Wheatland hounds.
ACTON-PIGOT, [is]a chapelry in the parish of Acton-Burnell, and hundred of Condover, in the county of Salop, 1 mile N.E. of Acton-Burnell.
LANGLEY, [is]a township and chapelry in the parish of Acton-Burnell, hundred of Condover, county Salop, 1 mile E. of Acton-Burnell, and 5½ miles W. of Much-Wenlock. There is a small chapel in which Divine service is performed twice a year. Sir Edward Joseph Smythe, Bart., is lord of the manor. The land is tithe free.
RUCKLEY, [is]a township in the parish of Acton-Burnell, hundred of Condover, county Salop, 6 miles W. of Much-Wenlock, and 1 mile E. of Acton. The village, which is of small extent, is wholly agricultural. The surface is generally level, and the soil fertile. The chapel is an ancient edifice, situated at Langley, in which Divine service is performed twice a year, at Easter and Christmas. Sir C. F. Smythe, Bart., is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]by Colin Hinson ©2015