We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
" ALBERBURY, a parish in the hundred of Ford, in county Shropshire, and the hundreds of Cawse and Deythur, in the county of Montgomery, North Wales, 9 miles to the N.W. of Shrewsbury railway station. It is situated on the river Severn, which forms part of its boundary, and on the Roman road called Wading Street, which runs through it. It contains the chapelries of Great Wollaston and Criggion, and the townships of Bauseley Alberbury, Benthal with Shrawardine Eyton, Rowton with Amaston, and several others. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford, value £187, in the patronage of the Warden and Fellows of All Souls' College, Oxford. The church is dedicated to St. Michael, and is an old stone building, with nave, chancel, and tower. There is an ancient stained-glass window in the aisle, and seven memorial windows in the chancel. In addition to the parish church, there are two chapels of ease, one at Criggion, built in 1788. It is a perpetual curacy, value £108, in the patronage of Y. Pickers, Esq. The other, at the hamlet of Wollaston, also a perpetual curacy, value £95, in the patronage of the vicar. This district was closely settled by the Romans, and on Bausley Hill is a Roman encampment. There are also several barrows. In the reign of Henry II. a castle was built here by Fulk Fitzwarren, who also founded White Abbey as a cell to Grandmonte, in France. There are remains of both. The site of the abbey was given by Henry VI. to All Souls' College, when alien priories were dissolved.
AMASTON, [is] a township in the parish of Alberbury, in the hundred of Ford, in Shropshire, 7 miles to the W. of Shrewsbury.
BENTHALL, [is] a township in the parish of Alberbury, hundred of Ford, in the county of Salop, 8 miles to the W. of Shrewsbury. It is near the river Severn.
EYTON, [is] a township in the parish of Alberbury, county Salop, 7 miles N.W. of Shrewsbury. It is situated near the river Severn.
ROWTON, [is] a township and chapelry in the parish of Alberbury, hundred of Ford, county Salop, 7 miles W. of Shrewsbury. It includes Rowton Castle. Richard Baxter, the eminent divine, was born here in 1615.
SHRAWARDINE, [is] a township in the parish of Alberbury, hundred of Ford, county Salop, 7 miles N.W. of Shrewsbury, in the vale of the Severn, near the ancient Watling Street.
WOLLASTON, [is] a chapelry in the parish of Alberbury, hundred of Ford, county Salop, 9 miles W. of Shrewsbury, on the road between Shrewsbury and Welsh Pool, near the river Severn. There are lead mines and stone quarries."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868] by Colin Hinson ©2015
The transcription of the Parish Registers for Alberbury provided by Mel Lockie. Added 15 May 2011.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Alberbury which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ360143 (Lat/Lon: 52.722523, -2.949040), Alberbury which are provided by: